Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Did Someone Say FIRE!

When we left Legoland on Monday we got out to the parking lot and saw smoke. I told Robert that it looked like it was close to the Condo where we were staying. Legoland is only about 10 minutes from the condo, so we got back on the freeway and headed to the condo. The closer we got, the closer the smoke got. We soon discovered that the fire was burning on Camp Pendelton which is just the next exit off the freeway after ours. The smoke was thick. Just as we got off the freeway two air tankers fighting the fire flew over head. They were going out to the ocean to fill up and then back across the freeway to dump. So they were making a round trip in less than 4 minutes. We hurried home and dropped off our stuff, put on our sand gear and headed out to the beach. It was quite an impressive sight to see two planes fly over the condo, circle out over the ocean and then descend to fill up their tanks. They probably made 5 or 6 trips before the sun was gone and it was too dark for them to continue. So here are some pictures of the action. I was really excited to show my photography teacher the last picture of the plane in the sunset. I wished I had had that photo for the last assignment when I needed a sunset shot. One week too late....oh well. He was still impressed.











2 comments:

Rob and Shelly said...

Awesome pictures... .it looks like you guys had soooo much fun!

K Bailey said...

That last picture is gorgeous! Looks like it's from a magazine or book!